- Data Protection Act
- Collected Information
- Purpose and Use of Information
- Accuracy and Access
- Complaints Procedure
- Notification of Changes
- Your Comments
The University understands the importance of our members' privacy. We will act responsibly in the handling of your personal data and take steps to ensure its security. The purpose of this policy is to ensure that the users of the Service are always aware of the type of information we collect, how we use it, and under what circumstances, if any, we would disclose it.
The Service is offered by the University via their Service Provider Aluminati Network Group Ltd ("Aluminati"). Both the University and Aluminati undertake to handle your private information responsibly and in accordance with their respective duties, as set out below, under the Data Protection Act 1998.
This Policy should be read together with:
- the ROEHAMPTON CONNECT ALUMNI e-MENTORING TERMS AND CONDITIONS and inherits any definitions defined therein; and
- the University’s Privacy Statement which may be viewed at: http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/Privacy/
Data Protection Act
All personal data is handled in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
The University is the Data Controller for all personal data held in connection with your use of the Service, apart from information relating to account administration and email data.
Aluminati is the Data Controller for personal data held for the purposes of account administration and storage and management of your email data stored on the servers; and acts as a Data Processor for the University in relation to other personal data held by it in the course of running and modifying the Service.
The University is registered with the Information Commissioner under membership number Z8395749.
Aluminati is registered with the Information Commissioner under membership number Z8393842.
The University’s Data Protection Policy may be viewed online:
Alumni, Development and Careers Data Protection Statement
Any personal information you give to us will be processed in accordance with the UK Data Protection Act 1998.
The information which you give will be used for the following purposes:
- to distribute University news, updates and surveys.
- notification of events and programmes.
- to provide you with the services, products or information you have requested.
- to enable the University to compile statistics.
- to further our charitable aims, including development activities.
The personal information you provide will be stored on the University’s Alumni, Development and Careers database. The data will not be passed without your permission to external organisations or individuals other than those acting in a capacity as agents for the Alumni, Development and Careers office. We may also need to disclose your information if required to do so by law.
The information the University and Aluminati collect is that provided by you directly via the Service registration form and profile interface. The University and Aluminati also collect non-personal information for statistical analysis on the use of our websites, and we have your registered email address on record.
The Service stores information that you generate during normal use of the Service. This includes, but is not limited to, emails that you send and receive, address book data and general preferences.
Any correspondence between you and the University or Aluminati in relation to the Service is archived for future reference.
Data may be transferred between the University and Aluminati for the purposes of properly administrating your account and verification.
Purpose and Use of Information
Generally the information the University and Aluminati have is used for the normal operation and maintenance of the Service. Information is used for internal purposes such as security verification of individuals. Contact details are used for announcements and to inform members of important information regarding the use of the Service.
Any directory system will operate on a strictly opt-in basis and will be accessible only to other users of the Service.
The information that you give will be used to verify your University membership, and in order to update your alumni record held with the University’s Department of Alumni, Development and Careers.
The University may contact you about alumni news and services (including those provided by affinity partners) and will have access to certain identifying data including name, date of birth, university number and email address.
Neither the University nor Aluminati will disclose your personal data to any third party other than:-
- with your consent; and/or
- in accordance with these conditions; and/or
- or the purpose of properly administering your account; and/or
- in order to process and verify an online payment; and/or
- if required to do so by law; and/or
- where requested to do so by the police or other regulatory authority; and/or
- in the good faith belief that any disclosure is reasonably necessary to:-
- enforce these conditions; and/or
- respond to any complaint concerning or connected with your use of the Service; and/or
- to protect the rights, property or personal safety of the University, the registered users of the Service and the public.
Your email address will not be given to any third party for the purposes of advertising or promotions, without your consent.
Your information is stored in a password protected database which is never accessible by the public or any non-authorised employee of the University or Aluminati. Authentication information, such as passwords and security answers, is encrypted.
Accuracy and Access
Aluminati endeavours to maintain its records up-to-date and accurate and asks for your assistance in keeping your own information accurate by updating it whenever it changes.
Methods of access and modification:
- email Aluminati for a copy of your stored details and/or inform them of any changes that need to be made
- write in to Aluminati to request a paper print out (include a stamped addressed envelope)
- access and update your profile via an online profile interface.
Aluminati will require that you suitably identify yourself before accessing your information.
Aluminati reserves the right to charge reasonable costs incurred by them for the supply of this information. At present there is no charge applied.
Aluminati will refuse access for the following reasons:
- The request does not relate to the information belonging to the person making the request.
- Insufficient identification is produced.
- Denial of access is required by law.
- Providing access would pose a serious threat to the life or health of an individual or individuals.
- The information provided for modification is reasonably believed to be false.
- Providing access would interfere with any legal proceedings or negotiations relating to the individual.
If, for any reason, you feel the need to complain or comment about these privacy practices or policies please contact either the University or Aluminati using the details provided below so that we may resolve the situation.
The University’s web site links to and is linked from other web sites on the internet. Neither the University nor Aluminati accepts any responsibility for other web sites or activities undertaken through them and you are advised to read the privacy policies on those sites.
In the event that you are directed to a secure server while using the Service, for example in the case of making an online payment, it is your responsibility to check that the web site is authentic by verifying the URL as correct. You should also check to ensure the web site is secured by looking for the 'padlock' symbol or an URL beginning with "https://". In the event of any uncertainty please contact Aluminati before proceeding.
Neither the University nor Aluminati accept any responsibility for any breach of privacy resulting from a member's compromised computer system or security information where the breach did not occur as a result of an action or inaction by the University or Aluminati. This includes, but is not limited to, the case of a password being stolen and used to access the member's profile or email account for purposes including sabotage and data theft.
Notification of Changes
Privacy is a very important issue and it is vital that the University provides a policy that is reasonable, fair and responsible. If you have any comments regarding this policy then please do not hesitate to contact us using the details below.
University of Roehampton
Data Protection Officer
London. SW15 5PJ
Service Provider Contact
Aluminati Network Group Ltd.
2 Minton Enterprise Park
Suffolk. CB8 7YY
Fax: +44 (0)1638 668 890